These 12 steps, taken from the Guide to Advancement, are how a Boy Scout earns one of the 136 currently available merit badges.
- The Scout DEVELOPS an interest in the merit badge and may begin working on the requirements.
- The Scout DISCUSSES his interest in the merit badge with his unit leader.
- The unit leader SIGNS a blue card and provides the Scout with at least one counselor contact.
- The Scout CONTACTS the counselor.
- The counselor CONSIDERS any work towards requirements completed p
rior to the initial discussion with the unit leader.
- The Scout, his buddy and the counselor MEET (often several times).
- The Scout FINISHES the requirements.
- The counselor APPROVES completion.
- The Scout RETURNS the signed blue card to his unit leader, who signs the applicant record selection of the blue card.
- The unit leader GIVES the scout the applicant record.
- The unit REPORTS the merit badge to the council.
- the Scout his merit badge at a Court of Honor.